are humans inherently altruistic?
New Yorker article on the evolution of altruism – http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2012/02/the-paradox-of-altruism/
- vampire bats, sharing blood
- eusociality among ants, bees, and a few other insects with hive-like, interdependent communities
- is there an evolutionary reason for altruism?
- is altruism fundamentally based on a self-centred biological desire to pass on our genetic legacy?
- is there a calculable formula for altruism?
also see – to the best of our knowledge – “Are humans innately good?” – on George Price’s algorithm for altruism (and his tragic story)